Saturday, October 30, 2010

♥ ♥ ♥

"What is her name?"
"Brekka"
"Oh what a unique and beautiful name! I love that name.. never heard it before!" These are the types of comments we get EVERY time we tell people what we named our sweetheart.
I had never heard this name before either. Not until I was pregnant with Brekka, half way between sleep and awake talking to her in a dream. In that dream I called her Brekka. I didn't think much of it at the time. Later on when we were coming up with names I mentioned it to Darrell. He wasn't too fond of it so I put it at the end of the list. As we got closer to delivery, the name Brekka would pop in my head whenever I thought of her. It sounded like a beautiful smart girl, a spitfire with confidence, sweet and full of substance. I knew her personality. I knew it fit this name.
One day I told Darrell how strongly I felt, that no other name seemed right. He agreed that should be her name. When she was born we hadn't decided how to spell it. The nurse in the delivery room wrote different options on the whiteboard... Brecka, Brecca... Darrell suggested using a double K, making it seemingly Scandinavian. We asked staff and family to vote. Brekka won out in the end.
Later on we looked up the name BREKKA online and found that it is a city in Iceland. Darrell instantly became proud, knowing that Iceland was founded by our viking ancestors, thus making her name "Old Norse." I have to remind him that it was MY idea to name her that in the first place..
There seems to be no question that Brekka was meant to be a Brekka. Perfect and special in every way. "Unique and Regal" as Grammy Goodwin would say.
Now Brekka's middle name is no less special. VIOLET, the name of both great grandmas on my side. No doubt they were with her, loved and adored her in heaven. Darrell was the one to choose this name for her. He felt very strongly about it. I joked that the grandmas were yankin' his chain and whispering the idea in his ear. He said he likes violets too..pretty and delicate. I started to think he had bonked his head. But I knew he was right., Violet was to be her name. I get the chills whenever I see it on paper, a name so full of meaning, an affirmation that she's finally here!
Brekka is not the only name she goes by.. She has also been called sweetheart, sweet cheeks, sweetie pie, pumpkin, precious, princess, pretty girl, angel, darling, lovely, lunchy, baby Brekka, Brekka boo, baby doll, little elf, little person, tinkerbell, tiny SPRITE! Whatever she's called I know she'll be mine...forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment